Thursday, June 5, 2008

I hate cleaning!!

I have to say, I absolutly hate cleaning. It is my least favorite thing to do in the world. I know how to do it and I do it well. However I feel at times that it is never ending.

There are times when I get overwhelmed and I just don't want to and I feel that my childrens messes have gotten out of control. I mean there are days that I shut the door to their rooms and brush it off and say I will get to it later.

I remember as a child that my mom made us do chores every saturday. I hated it then too. Now that I am a mom I know that my mom made us do these chores because she did not make the mess. She did her fair share of chores that moms are expected to do. She was constantly moving. Not surprising since there are nine of us. She was usually busy baking or making things to sustain our daily living.

I was deep in thought last week, contemplating what I could do to keep my family whine free this summer but caught up on daily chores. And keeping them from saying "I AM BORED THERE IS NOTHING TO DO".

So I sat down and made one of my "lists", something of which I and infamous for. I planned out each day to the hour. It is now Thursday and I am pleased to say, so far so good.

It will not kill our children to make them do simple chores and some not so simple chores. It makes me a happier mom and wife when I am not getting bogged down with daily things. My mother-in-law always says, "If your not in the world you should be preparing to be in it". Basically we should be training our children to be responsible adults with a respect for a job well done.

8 comments:

Connie and Jimbob said...

Hey, Min--when my kids were growing up I loved the chore charts and having them all industriously cleaning the house. My rule was that the TV didn't get turned on till all the chores were done and that was an incentive, I tell you. Ahhh, summers with kiddos are fun, aren't they?

leesa said...

I kinda wish my kids had long summers, i remember how much fun I had when I was a kid. Instead we get little spurts of summer. They get out on July 1st and go back July 27th. But when they are off I have them doing chores and off track folders that have work sheets and reading charts. It's a lot of work to organize it all but it's worth it! I found that when ever Maddie went back on track, it took a couple of weeks to get her back in the homework habbit, that's when I started the off track folders.

This Place is a Disaster! said...

So would you rather clean or go back 27 years and fold family laundry together again!

MindiCeleste said...

Um...let me think...NO!! I still hate folding laundry. I put it off as long as I can. I think that seriously damaged me.

DeVries Family said...

Mindi,
That's an understatement...
"seriously damaged"? You are so funny! I really miss you, ya big maniac! You have not changed a bit! You have a darling little family! Your baby was tiny the last time I saw you! Hopefully we'll meet up at the T-Ville Days again! I HATE laundry too! I would rather be on dish duty eternally, than do laundry!

Connie and Jimbob said...

Yo, Mindi! What's happenin'?

Connie and Jimbob said...

Hey,Min, come over one of these Thursdays and I will show you this cute site and we can put a new background on your blog if you want!

LeeAnn Barker said...

Oh, I could be prez of the "I Hate Cleaning" fan club. Cleaning'd be worthwhile if, afterward, the effects lasted a year or so. But nay, not so (heavy sigh). Ray should make me a Chore Chart!